Sunday, April 16, 2006

Easter Vigil

This is the third year where I committed myself to sing and play (kulang na lang dance) for the Easter Vigil Mass in Project 8, where I grew up. We have a small church in a quasi-parish, called the Holy Family Church, in G.S.I.S. Village. For the past two years, I have undertaken to sing all the Responsorial Psalms (five of them, shortened version), and the Exultet, and play keyboard for all the other parts of the mass. It's really fantastic to experience a mass in which a lot of parts are being sung by the celebrant (not this year, si Father Rey walang tono, sabi niya, so he refuses to sing), choir, cantor and congregation. But it's soooo tiring after the whole thing is over! I swear, it's even more challenging than some concerts I have had with the Philippine Philharmonic Orchestra at the CCP! It's because of all those responsorial psalm chants, where you have to fit words into the chant melodic line, and you have to find out where those word accents are, and how it will all fall into place, where word accent and musical phrasing meet. A lot of people say that my musicality is intuitive, so it is very hard for me to express in writing here, what I actually mean, musically speaking. Pasensya na.

Tomorrow, it's back to work, and meetings, and rehearsals and all that. Vacation's over! What vacation? I really need to get away from it all one of these days. Sigh...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home